The custom of consuming the placenta, often done as placental encapsulation, is centuries old, practiced most often in Chinese medicine.
Placental encapsulation is the practice of ingesting the placenta after it has been steamed, dehydrated, ground, and placed into pills. Traditionally, this is taken by the mother and is believed to impart numerous health benefits. It is frequently taken shortly after giving birth, during a woman’s menstrual period, or during menopause with the belief that it helps counter some of the symptoms of menopause.
- Increased release of the hormone oxytocin, which helps the uterus return to normal size and encourages bonding with the infant
- Increase in CRH, a stress-reducing hormone
- Restoration of iron/hemoglobin levels in the blood
- Increase in milk production
- Boosts daily energy reserves
Birth & Biodynamics offers Placenta Encapsulation
Cost: $150 and takes 1 week to process
Contact: Dominique Clothiaux
434.996.5095 or email@example.com